четвъртък, 30 август 2018 г.

"You're doing this again", says G., smiling. "What, what exactly?" "Getting all excited about coincidences"

It's Thursday, I'm in the middle of packing, Adrian and Gilles are in the garden, and while I storm back and forth on the stairs, stressed over I don't even know what, they stop me and we chat, and they calm me down by, well, being A. and G. (gosh, gonna miss them). 
And while we go through everyday minutiae, jokes, Roland Barthes (I still have to return "Camera Lucida" to G., but then it's more about "A Lover's Discourse"), the possibility to send messages to yourself on facebook (like, yeah), everything, really, at some point I indeed excitedly start to explain how I commenced reading Nabokov's "Mary" this week, on one of the train trips to Brussels. And in it Ganin is counting down the days to a Saturday when he is supposed to move out from his room, and I'm doing exactly the same, counting down the days to a Saturday when I am supposed to move out, noticing everything, following the last traces of what this town has to offer.

So yeah, "You're doing this again", they know me by now, getting all entranced by stories, the possibility of stories, little threads connecting whatever it is happening with whatever has to be (my God, I cannot even explain it properly). 
"Mary" (or "Mashenka", as is the original title in Russian; I like it way better) is not actually about  moving out, of course. It's about nostalgia, most of all, I guess, but I will reflect on this more once I've finished it. The style of Nabokov is a delicious embroidery. Stumbled upon the book last Sunday, when I went to the shop together with Alex; it was raining a bit, he stopped at one of those book exchange boots that randomly pop out on some streets (and that are always, always full of shitty titles actually), picked this one up and was like, "you could find this interesting", although he hasn't read it himself. 

And I love reading it on all these train rides that I have to embark on this particular week; savouring the change that is on its way. 











Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар